Are Omega-3s All That They’re Cracked Out To Be?Posted on: November 10, 2016Categories: LiveWell 24/7
They sure are!
If you’re trying to enhance your overall physical and mental health, increase your fat consumption! While it is important to cut back on foods containing saturated and trans fat, eliminating all fats from your diet can deprive you of important health benefits. Foods containing polyunsaturated fats, such as fish, nuts, and seeds, and omega-3 dietary supplements will help your body function and boost your overall health.
Mental Health Benefits
- Individuals with bipolar disorder and depression can experience reduced symptoms and enhanced effects of medications with omega-3 supplements.
- Omega-3 fatty acids can help improve your productivity and ability to pay attention, especially for individuals with ADHD.
- Women with postpartum depression can experience therapeutic effects as a result of increasing their omega-3 fatty acid consumption.
- Omega-3 fatty acids can prevent cognitive decline and protect individuals from developing Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Physical Health Benefits
- These polyunsaturated fats can contribute to the prevention of atrial fibrillation, ischemic stroke, and myocardial infarction as well as reduce inflammation for individuals with coronary artery disease.
- Omega-3 fatty acid supplements can benefit individuals with diabetes by decreasing homocysteine levels and alleviating insulin resistance.
- Incorporating omega-3 dietary supplements can reduce the formation of plaque in the arteries.
- Individuals with cystic fibrosis can experience relief as a result of reduced inflammation and protection from mucus over-production.